Document Type : ResearchPaper
1 Department of Aerospace Engineering, Imam Ali University, Tehran, Iran
2 M. Sc. Mechanic Engineering, Emam Khomaini International University. Ghazvin, Iran
3 Assistant Professor, Aerospace Research Institute, Ministry of Science, Research and Technology, Tehran, Iran
In this study, the effects of geometry and spiral rifling like guides inside the injection nozzle on the performance of an engine are investigated, using AVL Fire software. To do so, firstly injectors with different nozzle geometries and their resultant spray patterns were simulated. Numerical results of this step show that creation of spiral rifling like guides inside the nozzle increases the spray cone angle and improves fuel atomization quality. In the next step, effects of using forgoing nozzle geometries on sample engine characteristics were studied and the related results compared to those of common cylindrical injectors. Numerical results of this step clearly show the superior performance of nozzles with spiral rifling like guides. In this case, SFC reduces up to 32 percent while the engine power and it's torque rises more than 63 percent. Also the amount of pollutants like NOx reduces 12 percent with respect to common cylindrical nozzles.
- Esmaelnajad, M. T. Shervani-Tabar, M. Jafari, S. E. Razavi, Numerical study on the effects of different injection patterns in an annulus injector on the performance of a dieselengine, Modares Mechanical Engineering, vol. 18, no. 02, pp. 423-433, 2018 (in Persian).
- Mohammadi, P. Jabbarzadeh, M. Jabbarzadeh, and M.T. Shrevani-Tabar, “Numerical investigation on the hydrodynamics of the internal flow and spray behavior of diesel fuel in a conical nozzle orifice with the spiral rifling like guides”, Fuel, vol. 196, no. 5, pp. 419-430, 2017.
- Battistoni, C. Nazareno Grimaldi, “Numerical analysis of injector flow and spray characteristics from diesel injectors using fossil and biodiesel fuels,” Applied Energy, vol. 97, pp.656-666, 2012.
- M. Hosseini, R. Ahmadi, M. Mohebi, 3D Simulation of Performance and Pollution of Hydrogen-Diesel Combustion in Heavy Duty Engine, Modares Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 177-186, 2017 (in Persian).
- J. Bora and U. K. Saha, "Experimental evaluation of a rice bran biodiesel–biogas run dual fuel diesel engine at varying compression ratios," Renewable energy, vol. 87, pp. 782-790, 2016.
- Hossainpour, and H. Rahhagh, “The Effect of Fuel Injection Type on Performance and Emissions in DI Diesel Engine with Mmultiple Injection", [MSc Thesis], Sahand University of Technology, 2005.
- Ommi, K. Pourghasemi, V. Esfahanian, A. Mirmohammadi"Investigation on Effect of Multiple Injection on Performance and Emission Reduction in a DI Diesel Engine, Amirkabir Journal of Science & Research (Mechanical Engineering). AJSR - E, Tehran, Iran, 2011 (in Persian).
- H. Farajollahi, and R. Firuzi, "Numerical investigation on the effect of creating swirly flow inside the nozzle and injection pressure increase on the cavitation and diesel fuel spray characteristics, Mechanical Engineering of Tabriz University, Vol. 51, No. 3, , pp. 155-164, 2021(In Persian).
- Jaliliantabar, B. Ghobadian and G.Najafi, “Optimizing the EGR rate, biodiesel fuel ratio and engine working mode using RSM method”, Journal of fuel and combustion, Vol. 10, No.03, pp. 15-31, 2016.
- Fujimoto, T. Mishikori, T. Tsumakoto, J.Senda, Modeling of atomization and vaporization process in flash boiling spray, ICLASS-94 Conference, France, 1994.
- Avl List GmbH. AVL Fire v. 2013, CFD solver, Eulerian multiphase, 2013.
- Brusiani, S. Falfari, P. Pelloni, “Influence of the Diesel injector hole geometry on the flow conditions emerging from the nozzle,” 68th Conference of the Italian Thermal Machines Engineering ssociation, ATI2013, Energy Procedia, vol. 45, pp. 749 – 758, 2014.
- Battistoni, C.N. Grimaldi, Numerical analysis of injector flow and spray characteristics from diesel injectors using fossil and biodiesel fuels, Applied Energy, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 656-666, 2012.
- H. Farajollahi, R. Firuzi, M. Pourseifi, A. Mardani, M. Rostami, Numerical investigation of the effect of swirl and needle lift profile change on the diesel fuel spray behavior, JER. 2019, vol. 54, 2019, pp. 25-38 URL: http://engineresearch. ir/article-1-692-fa.html.
- H. Perry, D.W. Green, Perry's chemical engineer's handbook, McGraw-Hill, 1997.
- Postrioti, C.N. Grimaldi, M. Ceccobello, R. Di Gioia, Diesel common rail injection system behavior with different fuels, SAE Technical paper 2004-01-0029, 2004.
- Mhlbauer, Modelling wall interactions of a high-pressure, hollow cone spray, [PhD thesis], Technical University of Darmstadt, 2009.
- H. Farajollahi, and R. Firuzi, “Numerical investigation on the effect of nozzle geometry and needle lift profile on the cavitation flow and efficiency of the marine diesel engine injector,” Marine-Engineering, vol. 16, no. 23, 2020, pp. 47-58, URL:http://marine-eng.ir/article-1-827-fa.html (In persian).
- R. Tatschl 3D-CFD simulation of IC-engine flow, mixture formation and combustion with AVL FIRE. Combustion Engines Development, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 601–630, 2012.